As a Governor with us you will help plan the strategic direction of the school, make sure public money is well spent, and hold school leadership to account. You will ensure there is supportive challenge and robust debate of the issues that really matter, which in turn leads to better educational outcomes for children. Whatever your professional background, your skills could really help enhance and further develop our academies and we would love to hear from you.
Some of the things you would be involved in are;
- Working with the Headteacher on the strategic planning and management of the school, including agreeing and monitoring key policies.
- Ensuring that pupils receive high quality education and that the management of the school reflects this aim.
- Discussing and approving targets for improvement.
- Assisting with the Appointment of the Headteacher (as and when needed).
- On occasions, making difficult decisions about individual pupils or staff.
- Monitoring the overall performance of the school
- Making sure the National Curriculum is taught.
- Deciding how the school can encourage pupils' spiritual, moral and cultural development.
- Making sure the school provides for all its pupils, including those with additional needs.
The minimum commitment is attendance at 6 x 2-hour meetings per academic year (2 per term) with some pre-reading of around 1.5 hours required for each.
You will also be asked to help with ad hoc committees when needed and to take a Linked Governor role, in which you would work more closely with the school, once per term, on one particular area - reporting back to the AGC.
In return you will;
- A chance to develop transferable skills in strategic management, skills that are very valuable in a wide variety of workplaces.
- The opportunity to work with our team of Governors and Staff on developing and improving our schools.
- The satisfaction of directly contributing to the community.
- A sense of achievement in making a difference to children’s lives.
- Training to develop an understanding of governance and specific education management issues.
If you would like to express interest in becoming a Governor or get to know more about the role, please contact;
Deborah Moss MSc, MPCIPD
Senior Governance Clerk, Lydiate Learning Trust
Mobile: 07853 140551
Please note that we always carry out pre-appointment checks including with the Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) to ensure you have clearance to work with children and young people.